Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tick the boxes that apply (EN)

Earlier this week I visited a travel clinic for the vaccinations for our upcoming visit to India. The receptionist was surprised by my cheerfulness. I guess most people that enter the door are a little apprehensive about the shots. Hey, you don't scare me with needles so easily anymore. And besides, these are completely voluntary and are a guaranteed precursor for some good times, whereas IVF-shots are all about maybe's and small percentages, insecurities and worries etc.
Before the consult I was asked to fill in a form. And there you have it:

Are you pregnant:
[  ] Yes
[  ] No
Are you planning to be pregnant soon:
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

AARRGGH! People! If only getting pregnant was as easy as ticking a box! Can you imagine that there ARE women who can tick the box, stop taking precautions and get knocked up within a few months? In a bed? Without needles and people in white clothes?

I was happy to note that this didn't really affect me. I didn't get teary eyed or emotional, which was a good thing. But I do want to suggest some extra answers:

Are you pregnant:
[  ] Yes
[  ] No
[  ] Noooooohooooooo *snif* *tissue please* *snif*
[  ] Have you any idea how painful this question can be? For anyone who wants to be pregnant but can't or isn't? I'm not asking you any personal questions am I? How would you feel if I asked you if you are happy with your health, your weight, your relationship? Are you kidding me? Do you want me to leave? Do you want me to cry? Do you? Do you? DO YOU?
Are you planning to be pregnant soon:
[  ] Yes
[  ] No
[  ] HELLL YEAH
[  ] Yes, can you please give me a miracle fertility or immaculate conception shot as well?
Don't get me wrong. The clinic nurse was super nice and friendly and answered all my questions about possible interference of the shots with my IVF-cycle (which there are not) and thought I was very brave for undergoing all this and wished me all the best. I am not hurt or bitter at all about this questionnaire, I know that they have to ask and it's a good thing they do. Cause if I wás pregnant, it would have made sure that my baby wasn't harmed. And that is the most important thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment